The search feature allows users to search for all files that have been scanned by the system, offering a variety of search filter options to choose from. Each of these search filters provides many operators to narrow down the search criteria even further, allowing the system to locate specific files quickly and efficiently. This feature can search the entire system or a specific folder, depending on which node or folder is selected at the time the search is performed.
- Locate files quickly using search filters and operators
- Search nested queries with search filters and operators for precise searches
- Quickly view metadata for each file displayed in search results
- Easily export search results to PDF or Microsoft Excel files
- View search results in the four offered formats: List, Details, Icon or Content
- Customize search results displayed, by adding or removing data columns for search results
- Save searches using specific search criteria in report form for even faster searching
- Instantly share search results with other Aparavi users, using the Get Link to Results feature
File Search Process
- Choose which node/folder to perform the search on, by clicking on it in the navigation tree, located on the left-hand side. Once selected, it will appear with a yellowish background color to indicate that it is selected.
Please Note: It is important to select the correct node/folder. The system will only search for files contained within that specific node/folder selected.
2. Click on the Files tab in the top navigation menu. If not already located on this tab, the system will navigate to the File tab in the system.
3. Click on the first search filter drop-down field and then click on one of the search options listed. Once the search filter is selected, the menu will disappear and the selection will appear inside the field.
Please Note: All filters that contain a side arrow icon, directly to the right of the filter’s name, indicates there are more options to choose from within that filter subject.
4. Click on the second search filter drop-down field and then click on one of the operators listed. Once the operator is selected, the menu will disappear and the selection will appear inside the field.
Please Note: This field is dynamic and offers different operators depending on the first search filter’s selection.
5. Click on the third field and enter the search criteria. This field will vary, depending on the selections of the first two drop-down fields. Once the information is entered or selected, it will appear inside of the field.
- For Example: If searching for a File Name → Enter the keyword contained in file name.
- For Example: If searching for a File by date → Field will become drop-down calendar to select a date range from.
6. Once all search criteria has been properly entered into the search filter drop-down fields, click the Search button to preform the search.
7. The results of the search will display in the window, directly below the search filter fields.
Viewing Search File Results Metadata
Once the search has been completed, the metadata of each file can be viewed by clicking on the View Metadata button. This allows for quick viewing of all metadata, for only the files returned using the specified search criteria.
- Complete Search.
2. Click on a file located within the search results and then click on the View Metadata button.
3. Once the Metadata button is clicked, the metadata details window will appear on the right-hand side of the screen and display all metadata specified to the file that was selected.
4. To view the metadata for any other files in the search results window, simply click on another file and the Metadata details window will update with the newly selected file’s metadata.
File Search Export
Once the search has been completed, the results can be exported to a PDF file or a Microsoft Excel File.
- Directly above the search results, click on the export button, located on the left-side of the screen, this button’s icon is displayed as a down facing arrow.
2. Click on either options that displays when the export button is clicked: (1) Export to Pdf or (2) Export to Excel.
3. Regardless of which option was selected, a pop-up box will appear that offers the ability to customize the export, such as renaming the exported file’s name or selecting additional columns to be included in the exported file.
- If Export to Pdf is selected, the pop-up box will include the following customization options.
- If Export to Excel is selected, the pop-up box will include the following customization options.
4. After customizing the export options, inside the export pop-up box, click on the Generate Pdf or Generate Excel button, located at the bottom right-hand side of the pop-up box. Once this button is clicked, the pop-up box will disappear and the exported file will begin to download.
5. Search local host computer’s downloads folder, and double click on the exported file to open it.
Manage View Types
The system allows the search results to be viewed in four different formats: List View, Details View, Icons View & Content View. Depending on which view is selected, the results will be presented in different formats and have different additional options to select from. To change the view type, click on one of the four options under the View Type section, just above the search results window.
Manage Fields Displayed
The system allows for customization of the data field columns, after a search has been completed. This allows for viewing only the specific information about each file that should be displayed on the screen. This feature is only available when viewing the results via the Details view type and only after a search has been completed. The Manage Fields button will not be visible if viewing on List view, Icons view or Content View.
- Complete File Search.
2. Click on the Details View Type under the View Type options in the upper left-hand corner. Once this view type is selected, the Manage Fields button will appear just above the search results window.
3. Click on the Manage Fields button and the Manage Fields pop-up box will appear with a list of data fields to add or remove from the results window.
To add a field, click on the field name from the list of Available Fields section, located on the left-hand side. Once selected, hold down the button on the mouse and drag the selected field from the Available Fields section, into the Selected Fields section. Once the field has been added, it will no longer display under Available Fields section and now will display under the Selected Fields section only.
To remove a field, click on the field name from the list of Selected Fields section, located on the right-hand side. Once selected, hold down the button on the mouse and drag the selected field from the Selected Fields section, into the Available Fields section. Once the field has been removed, it will no longer display under Selected Fields section and now will display under the Available Fields section only.
Please Note: By Default, the system will select several fields which will appear under the Selected Fields section and another set of fields, under the Available Fields section. In addition to the fields that appear within those two sections, there is a checkbox located in the bottom left-hand side of the pop-up box, beside the label “Show Advanced Fields” that when clicked on, will offer many more field options to be added. To add or remove these fields, follow the same steps as above.
Once completed with selections, click on the Ok button at the bottom right-hand side of the pop-up box to save changes.
4. The Manage Fields pop-up box will close and the new data fields will appear in the results window and display the additional information for all results from the file search performed.
Once the search has been completed, the search criteria can be saved as a report for faster searching. Once saved, the same results can be returned with a click of one button vs re-selecting the search filters, each time the same search needs to be completed.
- Complete File Search.
2. Click on the Save as Report button, located just above the search results. Once clicked, a pop-up box will appear with options to select from.
3. Inside the Save as Report pop-up box, type the name of the report in the Name field.
4. Inside the Save as Report pop-up box, choose whether the report will be a Private report or Public report. Private reports can only be viewed by the account that it was created under, no other Aparavi users will be able to view this report. Public reports can be viewed by any Aparavi users under the same organization for quick sharing of results.
5. Once completed, click the OK button at the bottom left-hand side of the pop-up box to save the changes.
6. Once the report has been saved, an alert will appear in the bottom left-hand side of the screen to indicate the report has been saved.
7. Click on the Reports tab, in the top navigation menu, to view the saved report.
8. Once on the Report tab, the saved report will appear under either the Private reports section, or Public reports section, depending on which option was selected.
9. Now that the report has been saved, the same search criteria can be searched for without having to repeat the process of performing the search using the search filters. Simply click on the Run button, located to the right of the report’s name and the system will automatically generate the report using the original search criteria entered.